Every time we see a rainbow Lily always asks me if we can follow it all the way to the end to get the gold. I always tell her yes, then smile because I always wonder if there really is gold at the end. I mean no one realllllllly knows the answer. Part of me still thinks there is. That is what life should be all about. Her sweet innocence and enthusiasm for life is intriguing. We lose that when we grow up. Life gets hard and everyone stops chasing rainbows and just starts stressing. This week we thought it would be fun to make our own little rainbows. So we did ....
Rainbow Malted Milk Balls
What you need
Whoppers (1 box)
White Chocolate (6 Bars)
Semi Sweet chocolate (24 oz)
Food coloring gels
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Separate your white chocolate into 6 bowls (you will need only 4 oz of chocolate in the first bowl for about 6 malted milk balls and each bowl will gradually increase with the amount of chocolate because as the ball gets bigger it requires more to coat it). Melt the first bowl in the microwave at 30 second increments, stirring in between, until completely melted. Remove from the microwave and add your first food coloring gel. NOTE: If your chocolate seizes up you will need to add a teaspoon of vegetable shortening.
3. Using a toothpick (or 2) carefully dip your first malted milk ball in the chocolate and place on the tray to dry. Dip the other malt balls and let dry as well or pop them into the freezer for a couple minutes.
4. Melt your second bowl of chocolate and add the second color. Dip all the hardened frozen balls again and place back on tray to freeze once again. Keep doing this until you have all your desired colors.
5. For the final coating, melt your semisweet chocolate in a bowl and coat all the rainbow malted milk balls with the semi sweet chocolate. Let dry.