Pretty in Pink Coconut Cake ~ Perfect for Valentine's Day
Ingredients (For Vanilla Buttercream Frosting)
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons whipping cream
Directions (For Vanilla Buttercream Frosting)
1. In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
2. Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
Ingredients (For Cake)
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 bag of shredded coconut
Directions (For Cake)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour (2) 9 inch rounds or 2 (4x14) oblong tart pans.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
3. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth. Add pink food gels or coloring until you get a light shade of pink. Pour or spoon 1/2 the batter into one of the prepared pans.
4. Add more pink food coloring or gels to the rest of the batter until you get a hot pink batter. Pour remaining batter into the other pan.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes if using tart pans and 15-18 minutes for rounds. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch.
6. Let cakes cool then cut each oblong tart in half so you end up with a 7inch long but rather tall cake! Layer cake pieces and frost in-between. Cover the entire cake with frosting then sprinkle coconut if desired.
Let us know what you think in the comments below!