14 Days of Love: Day THREE
Milk Chocolate M&M Brownies
Ingredients for Brownies
¾ cup cocoa powder
¾ cup shortening
2 ¼ cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ¼ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk chocolate chips (Use Guittards milk chocolate chips - They are amazing)
Ingredients for Frosting
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons whipping cream
A couple drops of food coloring gel (whatever color you want)
Directions for Frosting
In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then add food coloring and increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
Directions for Brownies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13" pan (You can also use muffin tins or the square tins like I did)
2. Melt shortening in a large saucepan over low heat, and stir in the cocoa.
3. Remove from heat. Mix in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and incorporate.
4. Mix in all remaining ingredients including the milk chocolate chips. Be sure not to over-mix. Over-mixing will make the brownie more tough and less chewy.
5. Bake for 30 minutes. (Or 15 if using muffin tins)
Cool completely, before cutting into 2x2" squares.
6. Once cool top with buttercream frosting and decorate with m&ms. Keep in fridge to preserve the yumminess. (They get more chewy in the fridge too - I actually think they are better this way) Enjoy!
Let us know what you think in the comments below!