It's National Margarita Day! Yes I know, there is a national everything day. Well I happen to love margaritas but unfortunately for the last several years I have either been pregnant or breastfeeding (Sorry TMI) so here's something you can make that's kind of margarita-ish : ) Enjoy!
Ingredients for Cake
1 box white cake mix
8 oz margarita mix (liquid)
2 oz tequila
1 oz Grand Marnier
3 egg whites
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp grated lime zest
1 stick of butter (8oz) - softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp lime juice (approx 2 fresh limes)
2 tsp margarita mix
1 tsp lime zest
6 cups powdered (confectioners’) sugar
cane sugar & fresh limes (for garnish)
1. Preheat your oven to 325º and prepare your muffin pans with the cupcake liners.
2. Combine margarita mix, tequila, and Grand Marnier in a pitcher.
3. In large bowl, combine cake mix, egg whites, lime zest, vegetable oil, and margarita mixture from step one. Stir ingredients together, then beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for approximately 2-3 minutes.
4. Spoon the batter into prepared muffin pans. Fill each cup/liner about 2/3 full.
5. Bake at recommended temperature on cake mix box (usually 325º – 350º) for 20 – 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean and cake springs back to the touch.
1. In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, lime juice, margarita mix, and lime zest. Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy.
2. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, and continue beating until smooth. If icing is too thin, add more powdered sugar, a couple tablespoons at a time.
3. Use a pastry bag or cut ziplock bag to ice each cupcake. Garnish each cupcake with a slice of lime and roll clear sprinkles or sugar around the edges of the cupcake so it looks like a margarita.
* Recipe slightly adapted from Hostessblog.com
Let us know what you think in the comments below!